Sunday, October 11, 2009

wow

The last couple of readings combined worked together to both confuse and teach me.  There was A LOT covered in chapter 2 of Practices of Looking.  A few things I understood and agreed with:
It is much easier to recognize ideologies in other cultures or times rather than seeing our own, because our own seem like common sense.  (I wrote this from memory , therefore it may or may not be a direct quote from page 69).  I totally see that though because we look at different eras in some of my classes and their aesthetics and we sometimes fail to notice ours.  Things people believe in are tied to their time and place of existence and during that time and place they are just seen as "normal".  Things we find normal now will change throughout time and generations later we will look back and place this generation's ideologies in texts and learn about them as we are now about the previous generations... phew!
I also agree with the "fact" that we take doses of different ideologies to create how we are.  Rather than just one, because seeing just one negates the others which are also true.  I see it like grayscale of ideologies rather than black or white system. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment